Thursday 7 January 2010

Travel Log 7

We were thrown off the bus at 5am at some random place in Bangkok. Turns out that a lot of tourist buses don’t terminate at a bus station in Bangkok but near Khao San Road a famous Bangkok hell hole where it is easy to find all sorts of scum and a cheap place to stay. However I was hoping to stay at a couchsurfers place and so decided to wander around Bangkok towards where the CSer lived hoping that this would pass a few hours until it was late enough to call the CSer. However although I had looked up the way on the net when I was in a coffee shop I soon got lost having not got a map. I ended up walking about 10km around town with all my stuff and then went I did call the CSer it turned out that they already had someone staying and couldn’t host me. So it was back to Khao San Road in search of accommodation. However when I returned I remembered another couchsurfer who lived in a hostel/squat called the overstay which the internet said to be very cheap. So I got a taxi there and it turned out to be very cheap indeed in fact free for those willing to sleep in the dormitory. The place was not very clean but you get what you pay for.

As I was in Bangkok I thought I’d relax and have a few beers and as a few of the guests were having beers for breakfast (1pm breakfast) I thought I’d join them and drink most of the day waiting for the Saturday night party to begin. At the party I met a beautiful Thai girl by the name of Gra Dai (or rabbit) who could speak fluent English and German and was there with some of her German friends. Over the next few days I spent time with her and we went to a market island on the river and ate in the local restaurants nearby her house and chilling out in the overstay popping out from time to time to see some sights in Bangkok.

Bangkok I found to be quite a smelly, ugly city with very few places I found interesting and I probably shouldn’t have stayed as long as I did.

The day before I left to go to Chiang Mai, I took a train to Ayuthaya to see the ruins of the ancient capital. There I hired a bicycle and saw all the beautiful ruins before heading back to Bangkok.

The next day I took a sleeper train to Chiang Mai

No comments:

Post a Comment